If an unexpected disaster occurs are you prepared? Natural disasters can occur in various forms and at any time. While you cannot predict everything, there are measures that can minimize the damage that incurs. We have five tips to help prepare you and your storage unit in case of disaster.
Have a protection plan for your storage unit
- Our facility offers a protection plan that is designed to cover financial losses of items damaged in natural disasters. Plans can be purchased at our office and can be added into your monthly rent. Do not assume the property’s insurance covers your goods, you are responsible for the protection of your stored goods. For information on protection for your stored goods, please see store manager.
Have an evacuation plan
- Be sure to know routes on how to get to a safe spot during a disaster. Have a planned meeting stop for family and friends.
Line the floor of the unit
- Place a dust cover or tarp on the floor of your unit before putting items into your unit. This protects them from any incidental damage and creates a barrier between the concrete floor and your items.
Keep any important documents with you
- Documents such as birth certificates, passports, identification cards or anything that needs to be easily accessible should be kept with you or in safe in your residence.
Have emergency light sources
- Keep a flashlight or lantern right at your residence, in your car and also inside your unit. If power goes out, make sure you have battery backups for any lighting sources as well. If a visit to your unit during a disaster is necessary, you will want to be able to see in your unit.
Being prepared minimizes the possible damage that can occur. If you need more tips or information for how to store in your unit, please stop by the office or see our other blogs.